Friday, March 7, 2008

I love you Mama

It's been said that kids with Autism have a hard time expressing their feelings, which overall, is true. Brogan has a hard time vocalizing anything. Wants, needs, likes, dislikes - forget about expressing his feelings.
This hasn't been a huge issue with us, he's not overly volatile, mostly goes with the flow and rarely has emotional flare ups because of his inability to express what he wants or needs. Which is huge, if I had a lot to say but didn't know how to express it vocally, I'd be throwing tantrums like you never saw!
From time to time I have wished for him to spontaneously tell me he loves me, but have been able to assuage the disappointment in that with the fact that a lot of kids aren't as affectionate as he is. His snuggles, kisses, and hugs make up for a whole lot.
This afternoon, he brought me to tears. I leaned over and gave him some kisses on his neck as he was playing with his farm animals and he giggled. Then he put his hand on the side of my head as I was pulling away, looked me in the eye with a quirky smile on his lips and said, "I love you Mama!"

2 comments:

Jenie said...

What a wonderful moment.

mom said...

that pulls on my heart strings and makes my eyes leak