Sunday, November 25, 2007

Ms. Kimberly


We were first introduced to Brogan's "main" teacher at our initial assessment/meeting. When she breezed in I'll admit I felt a wee bit apprehensive. "Ms. Kimberly" isn't even as old as I am (I seem to forget that I am almost 30 ... so that leaves a lot of graduation space on her behalf), crazy short blond hair, eclectic clothes, a kind of distracted smile playing upon her lips. Not someone I'd peg as a special ed teacher, an art teacher maybe. Throughout the meeting she threw out random questions that did not ease my fears; nor did they compound them. They just left me curious about how much she actually knew about Autism. After the meeting she led us to Brogan's homeroom (they have four class rooms they alternate between during the day for various developmental instruction). As we were discussing diets, potty habits, attachments, etc. Brogan had started peeling stickers off of some puzzles stacked on a shelf. When I realized this, I was embarrassed that I hadn't noticed and annoyed that he was eating the stinking stickers (again!). Rushing over to try to right the damage I started apologizing profusely; something I seem to have become somewhat of a pro at. Kimberly gently put her hand on my arm, looked me in the eye and simply said, "It's alright. This isn't the worst thing that he could do." Then she went over and simply finished peeling off the stickers he'd started in on and instructed him to place them in the garbage not in his mouth then turned to me and continued on in the same vein we'd previously been talking in. I was about ready to break into tears. So many times, in so many situations I have nearly felt drowned in guilt, remorse, shame by the fact that I do not know how to "control my son". Saw the looks other parents and random people have given me as Brogan has acted ... like Brogan. Being told softly by someone that it was "alright", that it was not a big deal, it could be dealt with on a casual level. Meant a lot to me. Immediately I knew my son was going to do just great with his new teacher.
Ms. Kimberly has not let me down. Everyday as I pick him up she has a glowing report on Brogan. "He's a star student!", "He is fantastic at music!", "He is incredibly intelligent", "We love having Brogan in our class!" He is eager every morning to go to school. His favorite phrase while I am helping him get dressed is, "You like school!" (he never says "I" it will either be "You" or "Brogan") Though I know more needs to be done, I am ever so glad this opportunity was presented to us.

4 comments:

Jenie said...

That's wonderful Krista! It sounds like she is exactly who both Brogan and you need.

Unknown said...

It is great that both you and Brogan are learning together how to deal with his autism. It is something that you will have to help the rest of us learn.

Michael said...

So she's a hippy, well, it figures, as long as he is doing better that is all that matters. Its amazing how the smallest messages can make the biggest difference.

mom said...

We knew all along that he's a really smart little guy, just needs to be directed and taught how to use his smarts.