Friday, May 23, 2008

Calcium

Many people have asked me how I have added calcium to the kids diets since I cut Brogan off from milk products, I am going to assume it's out of curiosity and not a subtle hint that they think that I am not aware of the fact that children ... heck HUMANS need calcium. Do not be afraid, dear readers - I am infact aware of the importance of calcium for our skeletal systems and blood. I have done research on how much children in my kids age group need per day (800mg for those who are interested) and have strove to do my best to provide that for my kids. There is calcium in every possible thing my kids consume. I buy "diet" juices fortified with calcium, Sara Lee's Iron Kids bread, Spaghettio's with calcium ... For a while I tried to get Brogan to eat extra broccoli; that really didn't go over so well. He's a fairly picky eater. I am not a big fan of giving kids multi vitamins because they generally allow too much of a build up of unneeded supplements (if your kids are eating healthy, they shouldn't need them anyway), but I still needed an extra something. So I kept on searching. Then I found Viactiv. These tasty little "candies" are kid friendly with four different flavors and pack an impressive 500 mg of calcium per square. My kids love them. They think mom is giving them a special treat - so I feel like a fabulous mom ... and they get stronger bones in the process. Everyone wins!

2 comments:

Jenie said...

MMMMMMM....those look yummy.

mom said...

don't forget calcium for mom too